No Jury Duty

 Well, I got my original wish.  At the conclusion of my first day of my jury summons, I sat there hoping that my name would not be called to return again for the next phase of jury selection.  My attitude though really changed when I did return for a second day after seeing the defendant sitting right there in the front of the courtroom and listening to all the legal information and then the questions being asked mainly by the defense attorney.  I could really understand the importance of a jury, particularly to the person whose guilt or innocence and then sentencing lay in their hands.  It was a serious criminal trial that involved a DUI charge and an accident that led to the death of one individual and a serious bodily injury to another.  I felt that being a juror would actually be a very interesting and positive experience and most importantly a very important responsibility to be granted.  I actually felt really disappointed when I ended up not being selected.  It felt like a tease to sit there all day and listen to everything and then not be selected to serve as a juror.  The next time I get a jury summons in the mail (if I do) I will have a completely different attitude about it.

Update:  I have to add that I understand that trials and justice are also very important for victims and their family members.  I neglected to mention this before.  They are every bit as important as the fate of the accused persons. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Weight Of The World & Happiness

Potato Soup