Clever Ideas

 Sometimes I think I have a clever idea and then my next thought is, “Oh wait a minute.  If I knew how to spell properly, that idea wouldn’t make any sense.”  Damn.  Who knew that proper spelling could mess up some otherwise interesting ideas?  How is this possible one might ask?  When thinking about words and their meanings.  This brings me to another thought.  I wonder if there are ideas that could be dependent on a specific language to be conceived of.  The words of a language, after all, are needed to express ideas.  I’m not talking about ideas that require the understanding of a culture.  I’m talking about ideas that require specific words of a particular language.  Is there a difference?  Is this possible?  I guess maybe this is something that would be better understood by people who are bilingual and part of two different cultures.  Border kids maybe.  Maybe it could even be true that speaking 2 or more languages could aid a person in conceiving of completely new ideas that require drawing on more than one language.  Okay that was a weird train of thought.

I’ve heard it said that there are words and phrases that can’t really be directly translated from one language to another.  I wonder why?  I would love to know of and understand some examples.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Weight Of The World & Happiness

Stuck On Word Puzzles

Now